What if I told you getting better quality of sleep could change your life entirely? Sleeping is more than just feeling energized the next day. It affects everything from your cognitive abilities, your weight, your immune system, your happiness, and above all, your lifespan. Unfortunately, many of us cannot seem to achieve better quality sleep on our own, and while there are many wearables and gadgets on the market that boast their ability to track your sleep, there are few that can do anything to actually help it.
Introducing Neuroon Open: the smartest, open-source lucid dreaming, sleep, and meditation tool. Launched on Kickstarter, Neuroon Open has already raised over $257,000.
At first glance, Neuroon Open looks like an ordinary sleep mask (but much more comfortable). However, the technology within is what makes it one of the most impressive sleep wearables I’ve yet to come by. Here are six reasons Neuroon Open is the only sleep mask you’ll ever need:
- Advanced sleep measurement based on EEG (brain activity): Neuroon Open measures brainwaves (1-channel EEG- Fp1-Fp2), heart rate (pulse oximeter), oxygen saturation (pulse oximeter), changes in the skin temperature (thermometer), and movement (accelerometer). All of this collected data is processed on the core sleep-staging algorithm, which is used to build the user’s personal sleep staging. Via the app, users can see a detailed architecture of their sleep and be advised on how they can improve their habits.
- A/B testing of your sleep: Every morning users will be given a short self-evaluation which is then combined with metabolic & sleep-data in order to provide information about the best possible sleep pattern. Additional short cognitive games are also available to further personalize the analytic software. These methods help users optimize Neuroon’s sleep adjustment tools according to their needs, including artificial dawn, bedroom conditions, specific sleep stage awakenings and optimal time-schedules for falling asleep and waking up.
- Lucid dreaming induction: I’ve had plenty of lucid dreams in my lifetime, but the most frustrating part is that I can never seem to trigger them willingly. Neuroon Open will use a combination of methods, including guided audio sessions (similar to guided audio mindfulness sessions that e.g. HeadSpace app uses) and external stimuli (light/sound/vibration) to help induce lucid dreams more reliably and easily.
- Audio guided meditation sessions: Users can take advantage of guided audio meditation sessions, where Neuroon open can also record EEG readings, movement, pulse, along with any variations in heart rate during the session. Afterwards, users will receive biofeedback which can be customized to your preference.
- Smart wake ups and naps: Neuroon Open can simulate the light of a slowly breaking dawn to wake users up naturally. If they don’t wake up, the mask will then add gentle vibrations followed by a final audio alarm from the app.
- Smart home integrations: While Neuroon Open won’t make your coffee, there are several ways connecting it to other smart home devices can also help with sleep. Inteliclinic plans to integrate Neuroon Open with IFFFT and program several triggers that can work with other smart home devices.
All of Neuroon Open’s functions and data can be accessed via the Neuroon Open App, which is available for iOS and Android. In addition, Neuroon Open is open source, meaning anyone can further customize these features with their own apps and tools.